Friday, March 25, 2005

For the Record: My Advanced Directive

This morning FoxNews ran a brief interview with George Felos, attorney for Michael Schiavo. He was making the point that it was time for the Schiavo family to stop their appeals. The lynchpin of his argument was, "Terri doesn't walk. Terri doesn't talk. She can't be rehabilitated."

Just in case any of you are around when I can't walk, talk, or have any chance of getting better, I would like the standard for killing me to be just a tad higher. By my count (correct me if I'm wrong), Walter Fremont has written three books since he has been unable to walk, talk, or have any hopes of rehabilitation from his ALS.

I'm not saying don't pull the plug on me regardless of whether I'm brain dead or persistently vegetative. I can only say that right now my personal preference under those circumstances would be to die and be with Christ. As Paul said (even in the midst of his active prison ministry), that would be "far better" (Philippians 1:23-24). But since when does what I would prefer serve as the arbiter for morality? Paul had the confidence to say that it would be beneficial for the Philippians if he were to continue his ministry. Coincidentally, Paul wrote three books--1 and 2 Timothy and Titus--after his letter to the Philippians.

Unfortunately, I lack his apostolic confidence. The simple fact is that I do not know, and cannot know, how God might intend to glorify His name even through the prolonging of my infirmity. May He give grace and wisdom should one day require it on my behalf.

No comments: