Monday, April 18, 2005

Be Still, My Soul

During an offertory yesterday, I read the lyrics to "Be Still My Soul," by Katharina von Schlegel. I thank the Lord for drawing my mind to the second stanza, which was just what I needed at the time. I also included the fifth stanza, which isn't included in some hymnals, but was published online and is equally edifying.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, be leaving, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.

**************************
Of course I checked the SI "Bad Hymn Text" thread first, lest I blog something that had been deemed Anathema. I didn't catch it in my brief scan. Apologies if there is something theologically offensive, RM. ;-)

Seriously, great thread, guys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every time I hear this hymn, I am reminded of Jim Eliot and his gang. They sang this before leaving for the beach upon which they would be killed. It's hard for me to get through it.