Monday, February 20, 2006

Don't Waste Your Cancer

John Piper is using his cancer to exalt God's name. Why am I not surprised?

Key points:
"If you don’t believe your cancer is designed for you by God, you will waste it."

and

"The aim of God in your cancer (among a thousand other good things) is to knock props out from under our hearts so that we rely utterly on him."

and

"Cancer does not win if you die. It wins if you fail to cherish Christ. God’s design is to wean you off the breast of the world and feast you on the sufficiency of Christ."

and

"This will be an opportunity to bear witness. Christ is infinitely worthy. Here is a golden opportunity to show that he is worth more than life."
Here's the latest update on his surgery and recovery.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben,
Thanks for the reminder. I am going to print out that article for my file.
Steph

Anonymous said...

Having had both Colon cancer and Prostate Cancer. May I respectfully point out that the stage and Gleason score on Piper's Prostate Cancer indicates almost 100% chance of survivorship and after hearing the word Cancer and then a good talk with the doctor, he should have realized that 99% of the people that hear the word regarding them are worse off.
In other words, I would be very careful of making too big a deal of this if I were him. There are too many other people with far worse medical conditions. This should be mentioned, prayed for, and taken in stride. I certainly did and so have many others. My colon cancer, with surgery and 1 yr. of Chemo was a time of initial concerns and opportunuty to witness. My Prostate Cancer, at the same stage as Piper's, was a minor health glitch.

Anonymous said...

Bob,

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why one's articulation of a doxological response to cancer must be measured in proportion to that cancer's Gleason score.